Sunday, December 27, 2009

What is wrong with the texture of my English muffins?

My family loves homemade English muffins, so I make them often. The taste is great, but the texture is off. The air bubbles are small and uniform unlike the commercial muffins with large irregular holes. Here is my recipe any ideas would be appreciated


1c warm water


1T yeast


1tsp sugar


2tsp salt


1/4 c oil


3c all purpose flour


Add yeast to water and sugar , when dissolved add salt,oil and flour. Knead a little. Roll out to 1/4 inch thickness cut into 3 1/2 inch rounds. Put on cookie sheet covered with cornmeal. Let rise 1 hour. Cook on ungreased griddle for 7 minutes each side. Split sides with fork.


It is an old family recipe and my cousin and I both have the same results and would appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.What is wrong with the texture of my English muffins?
Cheffy's right on the money with the double proofing. One thing strikes me, though, and that's the 录 inch thickness. That's too shallow and, in the process, crushes the dough too much after knocking back. Roll them lightly and quickly to no less than 陆 inch, so twice the height, and then proof them the second time. Your individual dough discs will have more volume to allow the yeast action to expand with, which will give you a more open texture when cooked.





Hope this helps, and good luck!What is wrong with the texture of my English muffins?
After mixing the dough cover the bowl with plastic and refrigerate it for about 15 hours. WHen you take out let it warm up for 1 hour.


Get some Muffin Rings. They help a lot.
After you knead the dough, put it in a bowl and let it rise (proof) for about an hour, then punch it down, then roll it out, cut it, and let it rise like the recipe says. That initial proofing will probably help you.





Edit: BTW, that sounds like an awesome recipe, I'm gonna have to try it, I've never made them before.
  • acne scarring treatment
  • highlight videos
  • facial products
  • olive oil
  • No comments:

    Post a Comment