Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How do I remove the popcorn texture from my walls?

We want to repaint the walls without the texture.How do I remove the popcorn texture from my walls?
I've never heard of popcorn texture on walls. When we remove it from ceilings, we use a garden sprayer to LIGHTLY dampen the texture, wait a couple of minutes then use a 12'; wide drywall mud knife to scrape it off. You have to be carefull not to damage the underlying drywall, you'll get the hang of it quickly. Pretty easy to do, just a little messy, use a tarp.How do I remove the popcorn texture from my walls?
It's messy, but a portable belt sander with a rough grit to start will take the surface down to a smoother texture. Then hand sand with a finer grit.
Well, the last time I checked into it for my grandmother, two different people estimated the job with new drywall. Said it would be very messy and labor intensive to ';remove'; the texture.....Hers is very highly textured though.
u might be able to use a blade or putty knife to scrape the stuff from ur walls. Check @ ur local hardware store for a chemical product that may help. If worst comes to worst, u may need to redo the drywall, but i doubt it ever comes to that.

No comments:

Post a Comment