Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How do you give a poster a rough texture to give it a professional look for framing?

I saw some posters at Blockbuster, some ordinary posters of popular movies and scenes and it seems like clear sand was plastered over the poster to give it a rough professional look. They then had an ordinary wooden frame around the poster and slapped a $40 price tag on it. Now I know there's an easy way of making something of your own like this MUCH cheaper and with a picture you want. Does anyone know the technique?How do you give a poster a rough texture to give it a professional look for framing?
$40 for a framed poster is ultra-cheap, considering the sizes of most posters, the cost of the materials, and the fact that the posters themselves aren't free. Try buying a poster and framing it yourself, and you'll see what I mean.





I believe the clear granules you're talking about are called ';diamond dust';, or a similar name, and they're available in craft stores. You cover a surface with glue and sprinkle the diamond dust on just like glitter (but unlike glitter, you'd be able to see the image underneath through the granules). I don't believe the ultimate effect could fool anyone with any art education or experience into thinking it's a ';real painting'; (I am a professional painter), but to each his own, I guess.How do you give a poster a rough texture to give it a professional look for framing?
I am puzzled.





How does adding texture make a poster more ';professional looking?';
Head to your nearest craft store and ask for a spray adhesive and then a clear granulated sand.. I cant think of the proper name.. And def practice on something else before you try it:)

No comments:

Post a Comment