Wednesday, December 23, 2009

How do you get the right texture for pumpkin bread?

Every time I tried to make pumpkin bread, it either comes out too dry or runny in the center. What's a good recipe for the perfectly moist pumpkin bread?How do you get the right texture for pumpkin bread?
I made my mother's pumpkin bread for the first time this weekend. This isn't the exact recipe, but it's very similar.





Here's my advice - when the baking time is over, take the bread out, and slide a knife inside the bread from the top. If the knife comes out gooey, the bread probably needs more cooking time. I put the bread back in the oven, and I kept checking every 3 or 4 minutes until the knife came out mostly clean.





* 3 cups canned pumpkin puree


* 1 1/2 cups vegetable oil


* 4 cups white sugar


* 6 eggs


* 4 3/4 cups all-purpose flour


* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder


* 1 1/2 teaspoons baking soda


* 1 1/2 teaspoons salt


* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon


* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground nutmeg


* 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cloves





DIRECTIONS





1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease and flour three 9x5 inch loaf pans.


2. In a large bowl, mix together the pumpkin, oil, sugar, and eggs. Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves; stir into the pumpkin mixture until well blended. Divide the batter evenly between the prepared pans.


3. Bake in preheated oven for 45 minutes to 1 hour. The top of the loaf should spring back when lightly pressed.


How do you get the right texture for pumpkin bread?
I use the recipe out of Betty Crocker and it is fantastic. I use fresh cooked pumpkin instead of canned. All week I have been getting asked where it is since Halloween is over.





I use 2 cups fresh pumpkin instead of the canned and omit the raisins.





1can (15 ounces) pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix)


1 2/3cups sugar


2/3cup vegetable oil


2teaspoons vanilla


4eggs


3cups Gold Medal庐 all-purpose or whole wheat flour


1/2cup coarsely chopped nuts


1/2cup raisins, if desired


2teaspoons baking soda


1teaspoon salt


1teaspoon ground cinnamon


1/2teaspoon baking powder


1/2teaspoon ground cloves





Let me know how it comes out





**edit** Made my first batch last night, came out great.

No comments:

Post a Comment