Friday, January 8, 2010

Would you consider freezing milk and does it change the taste and texture?

We have milk on sale for $2.50 a gallon which is a great deal and I want to stock up if possible.Would you consider freezing milk and does it change the taste and texture?
I've frozen milk - it will seperate and look funny as its thawing , but give it a good stir and its fine. Don't freeze for more than 3 mthsWould you consider freezing milk and does it change the taste and texture?
My mom used to buy milk, 2 or 3 gallons at a time, don't ask me why. But she would freeze them, you just have to be sure to give them time to defrost in the fridge when running low on the current gallon. I wouldn't freeze it for more than a month though. And just stir it or shake it a bit before serving after it has thawed. Won't notice a difference, we never did in our household!
Freezing milk is good way to stock up. Homogenized separates when you defrost and you need to shake it. 2% works better when defrosted
You can freeze it, but it will change the structure somewhat. If you have kids, they probably won't be thrilled about drinking thawed milk, as it doesn't look the same.
I did it with 2% milk years ago.My kids never knew the difference.You want to drink it up and not leave it frozen longer then 2-4wks(I never did it longer then that myself).Leave it thaw in the fridge of course.
Yea, at my old work place they used to buy a few cartons of milk, freeze then use as required. Needs a good shake after thawing. It does taste a little different but it's ok if you're just adding it to teas/ coffees
You can freeze milk, what do you think ice cream is? We do it all the time. Just don't keep it frozen too long.

No comments:

Post a Comment